Rainbow Dragonfly

Rainbow Dragonfly
Our Mascot

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Hitting the Road...

Is both simple and complex.  The complex part is wading through all the decisions that need to be made, the choices to be chosen, and the knowledge that has to be gained. The simple part is moving forward once the complex part is finished.  Today I have come to the decision to start fresh with a Class C instead of my old tow vehicle and a trailer.  I can visualize myself rolling down the road until I want to stop, parking, and then just getting out of the driver's seat and stepping into my home.  I can feel the ease and the satisfaction of doing that.

I have had three previous RVs: a truck camper, and two travel trailers.  With all of those I had to get out of one vehicle in order to make myself comfortable in the other.  On a long trip, that got to be a pain.  I always envied the folks in the big Class As their ability to actually BE at home even while driving.  I think I would prefer that mode over the long haul.

Remember the movie The Long Trailer with Lucy and Desi?  The scene where she is in the trailer trying to make dinner while he is driving down the road is hilarious!!  We all know that no experienced RVer would actually do that.  I think of how simple it would be to pull off the road to use the restroom or get a drink, or make sure the Lion is riding well, without having to open a door and expose myself to traffic.  That feels safe and secure.  Or pulling into a rest area after dark (for whatever reason), and just hitting the sack for a few hours of rest, again without having to exit the vehicle.  Yep, my mind is made up.  A Class C it will be.

Theresa

7 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa! Are you, by any chance, already a member of WomenGoSolo? You might enjoy it.

    Roxanne
    The Good Luck Duck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Roxanne! No I'm not a member of that group. But I'll check it out. Can I join even if I'm not on the road yet?

      Delete
  2. Hi - I'm Barbara (Me and My Dog). Sometimes we don't check back in the comment sections, so to answer your question to Roxanne, you sure can! Any women interested in or participating in RVing is welcome. I lurk on that forum, but don't usually participate.

    Thanks for following my blog! I wanted to let you know, if you don't already, that there are a lot of RV forums on-line, one that's particularly good is the Escapees one. You don't have to be a member to access that forum. http://www.rvnetwork.com/ I used to check that one first if I had a question, it was usually already asked and I could read all the answers. I used to just READ forums because they are so informative.

    What size rig you get will depend where you want to go. I wanted to be as simple as possible - no slides, no towed car. I wanted to be as short as possible with the rig containing everything I wanted, dinette, couch and rear kitchen. I was lucky enough to find the exact, perfect one in good condition. After a year it's still perfect, so I lucked out.

    I hope your dreams come true! :)

    PS - FYI - you might think about removing the double word verification in your Blogger "Design" area. In Settings, Posts and Comments, Show Word Verification. A lot of people won't comment if that's on, it's a pain to decipher the words. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. What Barbara says. In fact, Annie still reads forums for fun.

    The thing I like about WGS is the manless quality. :D Go on these mainstream fora and sound like a woman - you'll get "little ladied" to shreds. That doesn't happen on the women's group.

    I also agree about word verification. Starting a blog feels vulnerable, but the truth is that Blogger is very good at filtering out spam even without extra hoops for your readers to jump through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did join womengosolo, and I am really looking forward to reading the posts and going through the forums. Also I dd remove word verification. I don't want to make commenting difficult, otherwise it wil be like writing in a vacuum.
    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite movies!

    I have come to the same conclusion about getting a C Class (or B) and for the same reasons you mention. I had a small travel trailer in the past and I didn't relish hitching and unhitching. I agree with Barbara - keep it simple.

    ReplyDelete